Orthokeratology (Ortho K)
No Surgery, Restored Vision!
Corrects your cornea while you sleep!
This is a new treatment that restores vision by gently and slowly changing the shape of the cornea while the patient sleeps and wears special contact lenses. Nearsightedness is a refractive error in which the distance from the cornea to the retina increases or the refractive index of the cornea or lens changes, causing the retina to come into focus in front of the cornea. The cornea is corrected by wearing contact lenses with a curve that matches the shape of each cornea and the degree of nearsightedness. The lens changes the shape of the cornea to bring the eye into focus on the retina. The lenses are worn only at night, so patients can live without lenses or glasses during the day. This is one of the features of orthokeratology. Even after you wake up in the morning and remove the lenses, the corset effect maintains the corrective effect for a while, allowing you to stay comfortable. At Nanjo Eye Clinic, we use Toray Breath O-Correct, which has been approved as a medical device in Japan.
You can use our lenses with confidence because they are highly safe and highly oxygen permeable.
Recommended for the following people
Mild to moderate myopia
- If your vision is 0.7 to 0.1, it will recover to 0.7 to 1.0 in about 2 weeks
- young people with soft corneas and
- Although there are individual differences, vision can be restored overnight
- young people with soft corneas and
- Almost no foreign body sensation against the lens
- No need to worry about lens dropout or loss
- Safe for sports activities
- Massage effect during REM sleep improves corneal corrective power
- Can be worn by people with dry eyes
Schedule and the cost of Ortho K
Toray Breath-O-Correct which has been approved as a medical device in Japan is used for the treatment.
Schedule of Ortho K
Test to see if treatment is indicated.
Check your eligibility for the Ortho K.
A thorough examination and consultation will be performed.
Wear the lenses before bedtime for one week and remove them the next morning. If there are any problems, discontinue use after one week.
The effects of treatment and the condition of the cornea are checked.
Periodic examinations are at 2 weeks, 1 month, 3 months, and every 3 months thereafter.
Cost of the examinations
|The first exam||9,000JPY around|
|The exam for the prescription||11,000JPY|
|The following up exams||2,200JPY for each exam|
|Eye drops and lens care products required for treatment||Eye drops and care products cost extra.|
Cost for the Ortho K lens (include tax)
|Toray Breath-O-Correct||132,000JPY for both eyes||66,000JPY for one eye|
※The above costs are for lenses and care products (initial set) only.
※A deposit of 60,000 yen (cash only) is required at the time of the exam for the prescription.
|Pay by cash||Pay by cash We accept only JPY|
|Credit card||We can take major credit cards|
- Is there an age limit?
- You must be able to handle, put on, take off, and care for your lenses. In general, upper elementary school and up is recommended.
- How long does the effect last after the lenses are removed?
- It depends on the individual, but the effect lasts until about noon the day after the lenses are first worn. The longer you wear the lenses, the longer they will last, and generally you will be able to live with your naked eyes in about a week. Although there are individual differences depending on age and degree of nearsightedness, children and those with mild nearsightedness may be able to achieve complete correction the next day.
- Does it only work for nearsightedness?
- It depends on the individual, but the effect lasts until about noon the day after the first application. If you wear it for a longer period of time, the duration will gradually increase and you will generally be able to go about your daily life with the naked eye in about a week. There are individual differences depending on age and degree of nearsightedness, but children and those with mild nearsightedness can be fully corrected the next day.
- Is there a chance that it will not be effective?
- No matter how severe your nearsightedness is or how old you are, the effect will be small. However, even if myopia is reduced, it may not be fully reflected in visual acuity.
- How long does it take to see the effect?
- It depends on the individual, but a child with a naked eye vision of about 0.3 may be able to see up to 1.5 during the trial wearing period. To effectively maintain stable vision, you will generally need to continue wearing them for about a week.
- Do I need to wear them every day?
- Some people need to wear them every day, while others only need to wear them a few times a week. How often you need to wear your glasses depends on the severity of your nearsightedness and your age.
- What happens if I stop wearing them halfway through?
- The condition of the cornea usually returns to normal after about a month and you can switch to another correction method.